酱牛肉 (Jiang Niu Rou) is a very popular chinese cold beef dish and very easy to make. my dad usually makes a lot of it at once and stores it in the fridge. it’s tasty by itself as a cold dish or it goes well with rice, noodles, pancakes, congee, sandwiches, pretty much just about everything.
4 lbs of beef shank, 1 bag of salted soybean paste, 1 bag of sweet soybean paste, scallions, ginger (10 pieces), cardamom (6 pieces), nutmeg (1 piece), bay leaves (6 pieces), cinnamon sticks (2 pieces), licorice (6 pieces), cloves (10 pieces), dried tangerine peels (2 pieces), cooking wine (1/10 bottles)
salted soybean paste is very salty already, so you won’t need salt or soy sauce. i was able to find most herbs at chinese grocery stores, but i had to buy licorice and cardamon from a herb store. i bought all my herbs from San Gabriel Superstore and licorice and cardamon from US Herb & Ginseng right next to San Gabriel Superstore (addresses please see end of the post)
salted soybean paste 干黄酱:
sweet soybean paste 甜面酱：
1. Cut the beef shank into sizes of a fist
2. Clean the beef shank very well. Rinse for 5 mins in cold water then put in a mixing bowl.
3. Mix and massage the beef with all the ingredients
4. Let it marinate in the fridge for 2-3 hours. The longer the better.
5. After the beef is marinated, clean off the excess sauce on the beef (keep all the marinade) then pan sear all sides of each pieces of the beef. This will help the beef hold together better. Too much sauce will burn easily when you pan sear.
6. Add water and all the marinate to the pot and bring to boil.
7. Cook on low heat for 2-3 hours.
8. Leave it in the fridge overnight so the beef firms up.
9. Slice thin and serve cold. It tastes great by itself, but i usually serve it with minced garlic, cilantro black vinegar, spicy oil and on a bed for shredded cucumbers.
大部分香料一般超市都可以买到。可以参考我上面的图。 我都是在 San Gabriel Superstore 买的, 他们家香料品种还是比较多的。就是没找到豆蔻和甘草。但是超市外面就有一家草药店，啥都有。叫US Herb & Ginseng。地址都po下面了。
San Gabriel Superstore
1635 S San Gabriel Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
US Herb & Ginseng
1617 S San Gabriel Blvd
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Latest posts by Bunny (see all)
- Queenstown Day 2 | Australia + New Zealand Trip Part 4 - March 26, 2017
- Queenstown Day 1 | Australia + New Zealand Trip Part 3 - March 25, 2017
- Auckland | Australia + New Zealand Trip Part 2 - March 20, 2017